Simple Portuguese BBQ Chicken & Salad
A great share plate with friends and you can make it as spicy as you like.
Preparation time: 20 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 2 long red chillies
- 10 hot small red chillies
- 2 garlic cloves
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 1 teaspoon of smoked paprika, get the really good Spanish type
- 1 teaspoon of sea salt
- 1 cup of canola or vegetable oil
- 1 whole chicken jointed, ask your butcher to do this
Salad to accompany:
- Good handful of mixed salad leaves, choose one with lots of peppery rocket
- Packet of cherry tomatoes, halved
- Sliced red onion
- Black olives, pitted
- Dressing of 2 tbsp of olive oil, 1tbsp of lemon juice, pinch of salt and pepper and a teaspoon of dried oregano.
- Blend all of the marinade ingredients in a food processor but do not over process.
Reserve a small amount for basting.
- Cut the chicken into pieces and cover in the marinade. Refrigerate and turn in the marinade regularly for an hour or more.
- On a high BBQ sear all of the chicken pieces then lower the temperature and close the lid for another 30 minutes, turning now and then. (Note: You can also finish the chicken in the oven once you have charred it, this delivers a really moist chicken)
- Close to serving, baste the chicken once more with the leftover marinade but don’t turn it, you want the marinade on the surface.
- Serve on the salad on a platter.
Republished with permission of Wyza.com.au.