Carrot and haloumi fritters with fresh cucumber salad
For a fresh, healthy meal you can't go wrong with lightly fried haloumi, and it's a perfect complement for a light cucumber salad.
Perfectly balanced, every bite of this is giving you earthiness, richness, sweet and savoury. Carrot and haloumi come together for a delicious crispy fritter stack, while cucumber, mint and honey cut through with a beautiful fresh hit.
Time to prepare: 25 minutes
Cooking time: 15 minutes
2 carrots, peeled & grated
2 spring onions, finely sliced
1 cucumber, peeled into ribbons
2 tbsp plain flour
1 egg, lightly whisked
¼ cup olive oil
½ lemon, juiced
Handful of mint, leaves picked
2 tbsp hummus
1. Preheat the oven to 160ºC/140ºC fan-forced.
2. Coarsely grate half of the haloumi using a box grater. Cut the remaining haloumi into 1cm thick slices and set aside. Squeeze the excess moisture from the carrot, then combine with the grated haloumi, spring onion, plain flour and egg in a medium bowl. Season with pepper. Form the mixture into round fritters, packing tightly with your hands.
3. Heat a little olive oil in a large frying pan over a medium-high heat. Carefully add the fritters and cook for 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden. Remove them carefully and place on the prepared oven tray. Place in the oven to keep warm. Heat a little olive oil in the same frying pan over a medium-high heat. Add the haloumi slices and cook for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden.
4. Combine equal parts olive oil and lemon juice with the honey in a small bowl. Combine the rocket, cucumber and mint in a large bowl. Drizzle with the lemon dressing.
5. Divide and stack the fritters and haloumi slices and serve with the minted cucumber salad and hummus on the side.
Recipe supplied by HelloFresh.
Republished with permission of Wyza.com.au.