Mon, 27 Nov, 2017
7 style tips for curvy ladies
Plus-sized fashion has come a long, long way in the last decade, but there’s still so far to go. After all, curvy women want to look and feel beautiful and wear all the new trends too, right? So, to help you do just that, here are 7 tips for shopping and styling if you’re not a cookie-cutter size eight.
1. If you’re short, vertical stripes are your friend. Whether they’re thick, thin or a black top/dress with one solid contrasting stripe, they’ll make you look taller, slimmer and balance out your proportions.
2. When shopping for swimwear, don’t instantly turn to black. It’s not exactly a summer-friendly shade, and blue and grey are just as slimming – they’re just a bit more interesting.
3. Wear black on problem areas. Hate your thighs? Want to make your bust look smaller? Avoid wearing anything light or bright, as this will only draw attention to the area. Instead, highlight your assets and wear darker colours on those problem areas.
4. Get your print size right. If you’re a larger woman, small-scale prints will only get lost. Don’t be afraid to try larger-scale prints (like abstract florals) and opt for flattering watercolour hues.
5. Stop hiding. It’s tempting to turn to baggy clothing to “hide” heavier parts of your body, but you’re actually just making matters worse. Big, bulky clothes will only make you look bigger. Instead, opt for styles that hug your shape without being tight or clingy. Otherwise, you can introduce one baggy, unstructured piece into an otherwise fitted outfit.
6. Don’t skimp on underwear. You could be wearing a fabulous outfit only to have it ruined by an ill-fitting, uncomfortable bra or pair of undies. It’s worth getting properly fitted and investing in high-quality undergarments – they’ll make anything you wear look better.
7. Go big with accessories. A small handbag is only going to make you look so much bigger in comparison. Choosing a large tote or accessorising with thick scarves, tall boots and heavier jewellery will make you look more petite and draw attention away from parts of your body you’re not too keen on.
What other style tips would you add to our list? Let us know in the comments!