Firefighters are warning drivers not to leave bottled water in their vehicles as it could be a potential fire hazard.
David Richardson of the Midwest Fire Department told KFOR News, “The sunlight will come through, when it's filled with liquid, and act as a magnifying glass as you would with regular optics.
"It uses the liquid and the clear material to develop a focused beam and sure enough, it can actually cause a fire, a combustion.”
Although the likelihood of a fire occurring is low, it has happened before.
Last month, Idaho battery technician Dioni Amuchastegui noticed smoke coming from his truck.
"I looked over and noticed that light was being refracted through a water bottle and was starting to catch the seat on fire," he said.
There were two burn marks on his seat cover.
The Midwest City Fire Department explained in a Facebook post the conditions necessary to start a fire in a vehicle.
"The ignition point of paper is around 450 degrees Fahrenheit (232 degrees Celsius)," they wrote. "The conditions have to be just right. The bottle has to have liquid, the liquid has to be clear, the bottle has to be clear, and sunlight has to pass through it (once you have all three conditions above) at such an angle that it creates a focused point of light similar to a magnifying glass and against generally darker than white material.
"These conditions likely cannot be met in a moving vehicle or one with dark tinted windows unless it comes through the front window and the bottle is set such to meet the above conditions."