This favourite noodle stir-fry dish from Thailand comes together quickly once you have the ingredients organised. Sriracha chilli sauce (named after the city of Si Racha) is available from Asian food stores.
Serves: Four to six
- 200g rice noodles
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, spine removed, shredded
- 1 lemongrass stalk (tender inner core only), finely chopped
- 2 red chillies, seeds removed, thinly sliced
- 3 spring onions, sliced
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 red capsicum, thinly sliced
- 100g green beans, blanched, cut into 4 cm lengths
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 250g raw prawns, tails on
- Juice of 1 lime
- 100g dry roasted peanuts, roughly chopped
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- Coriander leaves to serve
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 tablespoons water
- 3 tablespoons fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- Combine sauce ingredients in a small saucepan over a gentle heat, stirring until sugar dissolves. Bring to the boil then remove from the heat and set aside.
- Prepare noodles to packet instructions and set aside.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan or wok over a medium to high heat. Add coriander, kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, chillies and spring onions and stir-fry for a minute.
- Add garlic, capsicum and beans and stir-fry for a further two minutes.
- Move everything in the pan to one side then add the beaten egg, stirring until it is cooked.
- Add prawns, lime juice and half the peanuts. Stir-fry for two minutes until prawns just start to cook. Add the cooked noodles, bean sprouts, prepared sauce and soy sauce and toss to combine. Serve garnished with coriander and remaining peanuts.
What’s your favourite noodle dish?
Written by Bernadette Hogg. First appeared on Stuff.co.nz. Image credit: Stuff.co.nz / Manja Wachsmuth.
Have you ordered your copy of the Over60 cookbook, The Way Mum Made It, yet? Featuring 175 delicious tried-and-true recipes from you, the Over60 community, and your favourites that have appeared on the Over60 website, head to the abcshop.com.au to order your copy now.