This hearty beef and barley stew is a great recipe to cook when you have the family over for dinner in winter. Any leftovers will keep for a while in the freezer.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1kg beef chuck steak, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tablespoons plain flour
- 1 medium brown onion, coarsely chopped
- 800g canned diced tomatoes
- 420g canned condensed tomato soup
- 6 cups water
- ½ cup pearl barley
1. Heat oil in a large heavy-based saucepan; cook beef, stirring, until browned.
2. Add flour, onion, celery and carrot; cook, stirring, until onion softens.
3. Add tomatoes to pan with tomato soup, the water and barley; cook, covered, two hours or until beef is tender.