10 jaw-dropping pictures from Australia’s best drives
With vast, expansive landscapes Australia is one of the best countries in the world to drive through. And many people would argue that driving is the best way to experience it!
From the Great Ocean Road to the Indian Ocean Drive we’ve put together a series of pictures that represent the beauty of this sunburned country when travelling.
To see the pictures, scroll through the gallery above. They correspond with the list below and provide an enthralling look at everything that’s beautiful about Australia.
1. The Great Ocean Road – One of the world’s most iconic drives, the Great Ocean Road takes you past the magical 12 Apostles, iconic beaches and gorgeous bushland.
2. Explorers Highway – The trip from Adelaide to Darwin is not for the faint of heart, but reveals the diversity of Australian scenery form the Barossa Valley to Alice Springs.
3. Pacific Coast Touring Route – This scenic drive from Sydney to Brisbane showcase the beauty of the Eastern states with sweeping beaches, sleepy villages and rainforests.
4. Red Centre Way – This drive through the heart of Australia’s spectacular red centre lets travellers experience ancient scenery, legendary gorges and red desert sands.
5. Indian Ocean Drive – Taking drivers on a captivating journey along Western Australia’s Coral Coast, this drive offers impossibly white beaches and salty fishing towns.
6. Gibb River Road – This challenging 660km dirt track runs through the wild heart of the Kimberley. The reward? Some of the most beautiful desert scenery in the world.
7. Trip to the Tip – Speaking to anyone with a sense of adventure, this road trip from Cairns to Cape York is the perfect way to experience the beauty of Australia’s north.
8. Sydney to Melbourne Coastal Drive – With a range of stopping points like Nowra, Eden and Phillip Island this drive encapsulates the benefits of taking a more scenic route.
9. Nature’s Way – There’s no better way to wine through the World Heritage-listed Kakadu National Park than this fully sealed road that showcase the Territory’s beauty.
10. Circle Tasmania – This circle of Australia’s southern-most state will leave you spellbound, from World-Heritage listed Cradle Mountain to Mount Field National Park.
Join our community of over 40,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.