Over60

News

Fri, 20 Mar, 2020

A prominent royal has tested positive for coronavirus

A prominent royal has tested positive for coronavirus

The royal palace has confirmed on Friday morning that Prince Albert of Monaco has tested positive for coronavirus, after undergoing a test earlier this week for the worrying pathogen.

He is the first royal member and known head of state to have been diagnosed with COVID-19, however he is not the first member of the Mediterranean paradise to have been hit with the virus as it was announced on Thursday there had been nine new cases.

The first case of coronavirus in Monaco was recorded on February 28.

Prince Albert had only just sat opposite of Prince Charles, the heir to the British throne, at a WaterAid charity event in London just a mere nine days before he was ruled positive.

The palace said Albert's health “does not inspire any concern”, adding he was continuing to work from his private apartments. 

However the palace confirmed the royal is being closely monitored by his person doctor and by more specialists at the Princess Grace Hospital Centre.

Albert has also begged the 39,000 inhabitants of Monaco in a to listen to quarantine rules to stop the spread of the virus.  

Schools and nurseries in Monaco have been told to close along with non-essential businesses including restaurants, casinos, cafes, concert halls, cinemas and nightclubs.

Banks, supermarkets and pharmacies continue to stay open.

Information remains unclear in regard to the condition of the royal’s wife, Princess Charlene and whether she has been tested or not.

Other high-profile patients include Sophie Gregoire Trudeau, the wife of Canadian prime minister Justin Trudeau, and Begona Gomez, the wife of Spanish leader Pedro Sanchez.  

Highly televised events including the Monaco Grand Prix has been called off with several other events on the Formula One calendar because of virus fears.