Food & Wine
You must try this sweet potato, chicken and pomegranate salad
With a zesty dressing and sweet pomegranate seeds, this salad looks and tastes like a masterpiece.
- 600g sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into wedges
- 400g skinless chicken breast fillets
- 2–3 tablespoons wholegrain mustard
- 1–2 teaspoons finely chopped fresh or dried rosemary leaves
- 75g watercress or rocket
- 2 witlof, leaves separated and halved lengthways
- Seeds of 1 pomegranate
- Zest and juice of 1 orange
- 2 tablespoons walnut oil
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1. Pour boiling water into a saucepan or wok and put a steamer basket into the pan. The water shouldn’t touch the basket. Put the sweet potatoes into the basket and steam them for 10–15 minutes, or until tender. Transfer the sweet potatoes to a bowl, sprinkle with salt and leave to cool.
2. Cover the chicken with the mustard and sprinkle with salt and the rosemary. Put the chicken into the steaming basket, cover the pan and steam for 8 minutes or until cooked. (If you own a multi-level steamer basket, you can steam the chicken and sweet potatoes simultaneously.)
3. To make the dressing, whisk the orange zest with 4 tablespoons orange juice, the walnut oil and olive oil. Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
4. Lightly toss the watercress, witlof, pomegranate seeds and dressing together and divide between four plates. Thickly slice the chicken and top the salad with the chicken and sweet potatoes. Lovely served with steamed broccoli florets.
Image and recipe from Salads All Year Round by Makkie Mulder (Murdoch Books, RRP $35).
Republished with permission of Wyza.com.au.