Thu, 22 Nov, 2018
Sweet potato scones
Good news! These scones are heart-friendly. They're low in saturated fat because they're made with oil instead of butter. So, tuck in!
Makes: 12 scones
- 1 3/4 cups (245g) plain flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- pinch of nutmeg
- 1 cup (250g) cooked, mashed orange sweet potato
- 1/4 cup (60ml) vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup (60ml) low-fat milk
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- Preheat oven to 210°C.
- Sift flour, salt, baking powder and nutmeg into a small bowl. Stir together sweet potato, oil, milk, egg and sugar in a medium bowl. Stir in flour mixture just until evenly moistened.
- Turn dough out onto a floured work surface. Pat out to a 2cm-thick round. Cut into rounds with a 6cm biscuit cutter. Place rounds on a baking tray about 2.5cm apart.
- Gather up remaining dough. Pat into a circle; cut out remaining scones.
- Bake until golden, 12-15 minutes. Serve warm.