Food & Wine
On-the-go protein bars
With peanut butter and papaya cream, these bars are as rich and delicious as they are nutritious.
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats, blended into a flour
- 1/2 cup vegan protein powder
- 1/2 cup hemp seeds/hearts
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup natural peanut butter
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/4 cup coconut oil, softened or melted
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Add everything to a mixing bowl and combine well. Turn dough into a lined can tin or a silicone mould. Set aside.
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked in water 4 hours then drained
- 1/2 Ruby Rise Red Papaya, flesh only (discard the seeds and skin)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 2 Tbsp cacao butter
- Optional- 5 drops grapefruit essential oil
- Add coconut oil and cacao butter to a heat proof bowl. Set over a pot of gently simmering water and allow to melt. Once liquid, remove from heat and set aside to cool for 5 minutes.
- Add all ingredients to a high-speed blender. Blitz until very smooth. Pour this over the base and set in the freezer for a few hours.
To finish, remove bars from freezer and cake tin. Allow to defrost a little before cutting into serving sizes. Store in an air tight container in the fridge or freezer.
Recipe by Jade Woodd – Panaceas Pantry.