Italian Chocolate Torta
This rich, moist Italian-style chocolate cake will satisfy even the most avid chocolate lover. It keeps remarkably well for several days and features a delicious fudge-like interior.
Time to prepare: 30 minutes
Cooking time: 45 minutes
350g good-quality dark chocolate
5 large eggs
250g caster sugar
1 tablespoon instant coffee granules
3 tablespoons Dutch cocoa powder
5 heaped tablespoons ground walnuts (walnut meal)
90g walnut pieces
1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa
1 tablespoon icing sugar
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease a 20cm non-stick springform tin or bar (loaf) tin.
2. Place the butter and chocolate, broken into pieces, into a heatproof bowl and set over a saucepan of simmering water (or melt in a microwave). Stir gently until the chocolate is thoroughly melted and the mixture is smooth. Set aside.
3. In a separate bowl, using electric beaters, beat the eggs and sugar together until thick and pale. Fold in the coffee granules, cocoa, walnut meal and walnut pieces.
4. Gently fold together the chocolate mixture and the egg mixture until thoroughly combined, then pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
5. Bake for 40 minutes, or until the top of the cake is dry. Turn off the oven and leave the cake undisturbed to cool in the oven.
6. When the cake is cool, remove from the cold oven and gently remove from the tin.
7. Dust with a combination of the cocoa and icing sugar and serve in thin slices with fresh cream.
Recipe and image from Bake Your Cake & Eat it Too (New Holland Publishers), RRP $29.99, newhollandpublishers.com.
Republished with permission of Wyza.com.au.