Duchess Meghan reveals her “life changing” banana bread recipe
It is a widely known tradition to never rock up to a country home empty handed, and the Duchess of Sussex took that literally when she arrived at Dubbo on Wednesday with homemade banana bread, baked by the royal herself.
Meghan, 37, prepared the delicious loaf in the kitchen of the Admiralty House, the place the Duke and Duchess are temporarily calling home in Sydney.
She brought it with her as she visited Mountain View Farm where her and husband Prince Harry discussed the plight of farmers and the affect the drought has had on the residents in the region.
The bread, which was a combination of chocolate chips and a hint of ginger, proved to be a huge success, as those who were lucky enough to try it praised it endlessly.
And it wasn’t the first time Meghan had dipped her hands into baking the bread.
In her now-defunct lifestyle blog, The Tig, she shared the recipe for the “Life Changing Bread".
The blogpost claims that the bread, although delicious, is also healthy as it’s a low-carb gluten and grain-free loaf.
The recipe was passed down from the Duchess’s friend and stylist Talia Brown.
An aide had a few words to share about the royal, saying: “She loves baking and just decided to take something along with her on the spur of the moment.”
Benita Woodley, who is the daughter of Scott and Elaine, the farmers who are responsible for Mountain View Property where the Duke and Duchess shared a meal, said the bread was delicious.
“It was such a nice and thoughtful thing for her to do. We are really touched.”
After the news of Meghan’s banana bread hit social media, users began praising the Duchess, with some asking: “Is there anything this woman can’t do?”
Marilyn Hulslander from Over60's cookbook, The Way Mum Made It, has been making this special banana bread for the last 40 years, and it's as close to the Duchess's as you're going to get.
So, from the Duchess’s kitchen to yours, try the recipe yourself:
Banana Bread just like Duchess Meghan's:
- 125 g unsalted butter, chopped
- 1 cup caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- ¾ cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2)
- 1¼ cups self-raising flour
- ¾ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 180°C. Lightly grease and flour a loaf tin.
- Using an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugar thoroughly, adding the vanilla while mixing.
- Add the eggs, one at a time, beating thoroughly after each addition. Add the banana and beat on low speed.
- In a separate bowl, combine the flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt and add to the banana mixture. Continue mixing on low speed until combined, then mix on medium speed for 2 minutes.
- Pour into the prepared tin and bake for 45 minutes. Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then cut around the sides and turn out onto a wire rack to cool.
Note: This basic recipe can be enhanced by adding ½ cup of chopped walnuts, shaken with a little bit of flour, and stirred into the mixture after you’ve finished beating. You can also add a teaspoon of ground ginger if you like.
Will you be trying out this delicious banana bread recipe? Let us know in the comments below.