Food & Wine
Indulge your sweet tooth with some sweet potato scones
As the weather cools down, make sure you indulge your sweet tooth with some sweet potato scones.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking time: 32 minutes
- 500g sweet potato, peeled, cut into 3cm pieces
- 3 cups self-raising flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- ¼ cup caster sugar
- 3/4 cup thickened cream
- 1/4 cup soda water
- Butter & cinnamon sugar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C fan forced. Lightly dust a large oven tray with flour.
- Place sweet potato onto a microwave-safe plate, cover with wet paper towel. Microwave 7 minutes until just tender. Darin any excess water from sweet potato then mash with a fork. Set aside to cool.
- Combine the flour, cinnamon and sugar in a large bowl. Make a well in the centre. Add the sweet potato, cream and soda. Stir gently with a butter knife in a cutting action until a soft dough forms.
- Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface and gently knead until dough just comes together (dough will be a little sticky). Place on the tray. Roll gently with a rolling pin to a 2cm-thick 18cmx20cm rectangle. Cut into 12, separate slightly. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until golden. Serve warm or at room temperature, with butter and cinnamon sugar.
Tip: Make your own cinnamon sugar, combine 2 tablespoons white sugar with 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon.
Recipe courtesy of Australian Sweet Potatoes.
Join our community of over 40,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.