Enjoy a tasty cherry tomato, macadamia, walnut & silverbeet pasta
Up your nut intake with this easy and simple recipe.
Preparation time: 5 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1/2 cup raw walnuts, roughly chopped (60g)
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted macadamias, roughly chopped (70g)
- 1 cup fresh breadcrumbs
- 400g dry spaghetti
- 500g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 1/2 bunch silverbeet or kale leaves, torn
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup chopped parsley
- sea salt and fresh cracked pepper
- Warm half the olive oil and half the garlic in a large skillet over medium heat. Add all the breadcrumbs, and half the walnuts and macadamias. Cook, stirring regularly for 5-6 minutes until fragrant and toasted. Tip into a bowl, season with salt and pepper, and set aside.
- Bring a large pot of salted water to the boil. Cook spaghetti according to packet directions. Drain, reserving 1 cup cooking water.
- While pasta cooks, return the large skillet to medium-high heat and drizzle in remaining olive oil. Add cherry tomatoes and remaining garlic. Sauté for approximately 5 minutes, until tomatoes begin to break down.
- Add reserved pasta cooking water, silverbeet, and remaining walnuts and macadamias to pan with tomatoes. Cook for a minute or two, until greens are just wilted. Remove from heat and stir through lemon zest.
- Add parsley to cooled breadcrumb mixture. Serve pasta with generous spoonfuls of sauce, and plenty of nutty breadcrumbs on top.
You can find fresh breadcrumbs at good grocery stores, or make your own by pulsing a slice or two of day-old sourdough in a food processor.
Recipe and images by Jennifer Jenner for Nuts for Life