Food & Wine
Cherry choc chip ice-cream sandwiches
These are the heavenly ice-cream sandwiches of your childhood. Even better – the ice-cream recipe doesn’t begin with a custard, and so avoids the ‘will it or won’t it?’ curdling fear.
- 2 cups (500 ml) thickened cream
- 1 cup (250 ml) full-cream milk
- ¾ cup (165 g) caster sugar, plus 1 teaspoon extra
- 1½ cups (225 g) frozen cherries, partially thawed
- 85 g dark chocolate (70 per cent cocoa), roughly chopped
- 36 plain chocolate biscuits (Choc Ripple biscuits or similar)
1. In a large bowl, whisk together the cream, milk and sugar, and stir until the sugar dissolves. Churn in an ice-cream machine according to the manufacturer’s instructions.
2. Toss the cherries with the extra teaspoon of sugar. Add the cherries, along with any juice, and the chocolate to the ice-cream mixture. Transfer to a container with a lid and freeze until firm enough to scoop.
3. To assemble the sandwiches, spread 1/3 cup (80g) of ice-cream over a biscuit and top with another biscuit. Repeat with the remaining biscuits and ice-cream. Wrap tightly in baking paper and freeze until ready to serve.
The sandwiches will keep for 24 hours in the freezer.
Republished with permission of Wyza.com.au.
Join our community of over 40,000-plus members today and get the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.
Get all the latest Over60 news, offers and articles.