There are two stages to this recipe – the pickling of the cucumber, which should be done at least 24 hours and up to two days in advance, and the assembling of the rolls, best done just before serving.
- 3 mini cucumbers
- 50ml chardonnay vinegar
- 50g sugar
- 1 red chilli, sliced
- 20g dill
For the rolls
- 1 lemon, cut into wedges
- 1 teaspoon fennel seeds
- 8 whole raw prawns (king prawns are best)
- 8 small bread rolls or slider buns
- Butter for spreading
- Pickled cucumber (recipe above)
- Fresh horseradish or horseradish paste
- 3 tablespoons mayonnaise
- Put all the ingredients in a saucepan with 50ml water and bring to the boil.
- Remove from the heat, allow the pickling juice to cool then pour into a sealable jar and add the cucumbers.
- Seal and put in the fridge for at least 24 hours and up to two days before using.
- Bring a saucepan of water to the boil then add some salt, the lemon wedges and the fennel seeds. Add the prawns and cook for two minutes, then drain and refrigerate.
- Once cooled, peel the prawns and set aside.
- Cut the bread rolls in half and warm in the oven for three minutes.
- Spread a little butter on the bottom half of each bun, add a prawn and slice some cucumber on the top (about three slices per roll). Grate some fresh horseradish or spread some horseradish paste on the top half of the roll and top with some mayonnaise.
- Combine and serve.
Delicious! Have you tried a recipe like this? Let us know in the comments.
Written by Leslie Hottiaux. First appeared on Stuff.co.nz. Image credit: Aaron McClean.
Have you ordered your copy of the Over60 cookbook, The Way Mum Made It, yet? Featuring 178 delicious tried-and-true recipes from you, the Over60 community, and your favourites that have appeared on the Over60 website, head to the abcshop.com.au to order your copy now.