Tue, 5 Jun, 2018
Warning after $15 Kmart product explodes
A woman has taken to social media to warn others not to purchase scales from Kmart as her product exploded before her, sending pieces of glass flying across her bathroom.
Louise from Western Australia, who did not wish to be identified, posted on the Kmart Mums Australia Facebook page, detailing how she “lightly nudged” the $15 product before it exploded in to pieces.
“Glass went everywhere,” she wrote alongside the image of the shattered scales.
“As I was cleaning up, the shards shattered into smaller and smaller pieces. Kmart has been notified.”
She added: “It [glass] went pretty far and was definitely sharp. Thankfully my son wasn’t too close. I understand that tempered glass is temperature sensitive (they told me this on the phone) if it’s that sensitive, it should be recalled. Bathrooms are subject to a lot of temperature fluctuation so it was surprising.”
Her post quickly racked up comments of other users sharing their similar experience with the product.
“Same thing happen to me and you could still here (sic) them [glass pieces] crackling after,” one user posted.
“I’ve seen so many posts about these scales exploding,” another user said. “Surprised Kmart still hasn’t done anything about them.”
In a statement to news.com.au, a spokesperson apologised for Louise’s experience.
“Kmart Australia is committed to the quality and safety of all our products for our customers and the community,” the statement read.
“We are sorry to hear of this experience and have spoken directly to the customer. Our quality team are reviewing the product as a priority and we encourage any customers to contact our customer service team if they have any questions around our products.”