This slaw combines the crunch of fennel and walnuts with the soft textures of nashi pears. This slaw is the perfect side to a chicken or duck dinner.
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 nashi pears, cores removed, thinly sliced
- 2 fennel bulbs, finely sliced, plus 2 tablespoons chopped fennel fronds
- 2 stalks celery, finely chopped
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ cup roughly chopped parsley
- 100g seedless red grapes, halved
- 50g walnuts, toasted and roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon mirin
- 1½ tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey
1. Place lemon juice in a bowl with chilled water and add the nashi and fennel bulb straight after slicing to prevent browning.
2. Combine dressing ingredients, season to taste and set aside.
3. When ready to serve, drain nashi and fennel and gently toss together with the dressing and all the other slaw ingredients except the toasted nuts. Arrange on a platter or in a bowl then scatter with the nuts.
Written by Bernadette Hogg. First appeared on Stuff.co.nz. Image credit: Manja Wachsmuth via Stuff.co.nz.
Have you ordered your copy of the Over60 cookbook, The Way Mum Made It, yet? Featuring 178 delicious tried-and-true recipes from you, the Over60 community, and your favourites that have appeared on the Over60 website, head to the abcshop.com.au to order your copy now.