This duck salad is the perfect meal choice if you want the perfect blend of fragrant Asian flavours. Easy to make, this tasty salad is packed with energy-boosting ingredients.
- 1 teaspoon white peppercorns
- 2 cloves garlic
- 4-5 coriander roots
- 2 duck breasts
- 1 red chilli
- Juice of 1 lime
- 2 tablespoons fish sauce
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 mango, peeled, thinly sliced
- ½ cucumber, sliced into quarters, seeds removed
- 2 kaffir lime leaves, stem removed, very thinly sliced
- Handful of basil, coriander and mint leaves
1. In a mortar and pestle, pound the peppercorns, 1 clove of the garlic and coriander roots to a paste.
2. Score the duck breasts and smear with the paste. Season with salt. Pan-fry for 8 minutes, skin side down, then turn over and cook for 4 minutes on the flesh side. Rest for 5 minutes before slicing.
3. Chop the remaining clove of garlic and half the chilli. Combine this with the lime juice, fish sauce and sugar to make a dressing.
4. Slice the remaining half chilli and combine with the mango, cucumber, kaffir lime and herbs to make a salad. Toss the salad with dressing, add the sliced duck and serve immediately.
Written by Ginny Grant. First appeared on Stuff.co.nz. Image credit: Jason Dorday via Stuff.co.nz.
Have you ordered your copy of the Over60 cookbook, The Way Mum Made It, yet? Featuring 175 delicious tried-and-true recipes from you, the Over60 community, and your favourites that have appeared on the Over60 website, head to the abcshop.com.au to order your copy now.