These days, desserts are all about loaded ice-cream and “freak-shakes”, but let’s not forget about the original milk bar hit – the banana split. Easy to make and utterly delicious, the banana split is well worth the extra calories. Plus, it contains fruit – that makes it healthy, right?
Serves: 2 (or 1 if you can’t bare to share!)
- ½ scoop vanilla ice cream
- ½ scoop chocolate ice cream
- ½ scoop strawberry ice cream
- 1 large banana
- 2 tbsp. chocolate sauce
- 2 tbsp. strawberry sauce
- 2 tbsp. pineapple sauce
- 2 tbsp. mixed nuts, crushed
- Whipped cream
- 3 cherries
- On an oval or rectangular dish, line up the three ice cream scoops.
- Cut the ends off the banana while the skin is still on, then slice in half lengthways.
- Remove each banana half from the peel and onto each side of the ice cream, pressing until they stay put.
- Top the vanilla ice cream with the pineapple sauce, chocolate with the chocolate sauce and strawberry with the strawberry sauce.
- Sprinkle the mixed nuts over the ice cream.
- Top each scoop with whipped cream and a cherry.
- Serve and enjoy.
Have you ordered your copy of the Over60 cookbook, The Way Mum Made It, yet? Featuring 178 delicious tried-and-true recipes from you, the Over60 community, and your favourites that have appeared on the Over60 website, head to the abcshop.com.au to order your copy now.