Sometimes one type of chocolate just isn't enough. Creamy and sweet, rich and decadent, this milk chocolate ice cream with a dark chocolate ganache swirl and white chocolate chunks is a gorgeous bowl of deliciousness that's guaranteed to make any chocoholic's dream come true.
- 750 ml full-fat milk
- ¼ cup + 1 tablespoon of liqueur
- 2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 250g milk chocolate, roughly chopped
- 3 eggs
- ½ cup caster sugar
- 1 tablespoon icing sugar
- ¾ cup cream
- 250g dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 250g white chocolate, roughly chopped
- Place milk, 1/4 cup of liqueur and vanilla in a large pot over a low heat and bring to a gentle simmer, stirring occasionally. When it reaches a simmer, remove from the heat and add chopped milk chocolate, stirring until smooth.
- While the milk is heating, place the eggs and caster sugar in the large bowl and whisk until thick and sugar has completely dissolved.
- Slowly add hot chocolate milk to the eggs in a slow stream, whisking all the while.
- Let it run down the side of the bowl to minimise splashing.
- Return mixture to the pot and heat over a low heat for 8-10 minutes stirring constantly.
- The mixture should thicken and coat the back of a spoon.
- If it starts to simmer remove it from the heat immediately.
- Pour mixture into a bowl or jug and sift icing sugar over the top (to prevent a skin forming). Cover and refrigerate until very well chilled (at least 6 hours).
- Make the dark chocolate ganache by heating the cream and remaining tablespoon of liqueur to just simmering then pouring over the dark chocolate.
- Stand for 5 minutes and then stir until smooth.
- Place in the fridge while you churn the ice-cream.
- Churn the ice cream according your ice-cream marker's instructions, adding three-quarters of the chopped white chocolate in the last five minutes of churning.
- Remove the ganache from the fridge and give it a good stir to make it nice and smooth.
- Spoon a third of the churned ice-cream into a two litre capacity air-tight container.
- Top with a third of the ganache and swirl through a bit. Repeat with another third of the ice-cream and ganache and then the final third of the ice cream.
- Top with the remaining ganache and then sprinkle with the remaining white chocolate. Cover the container with the lid or a double layer of plastic wrap.
- Chill for at least four hours before serving.
Don’t you love chocolate ice-cream? What’s your favourite dish to enjoy for dessert? Let us know in the comments section, we’d love to hear from you.
Written by Alice Arndell. First appeared on Stuff.co.nz.
Have you ordered your copy of the Over60 cookbook, The Way Mum Made It, yet? Featuring 178 delicious tried-and-true recipes from you, the Over60 community, and your favourites that have appeared on the Over60 website, head to the abcshop.com.au to order your copy now.