There's nothing wrong with dropping a bit of cash on a Tom Ford perfume or a YSL foundation when the moment's right, but it makes sense to save money on beauty when you can.
1. Garnier Micellar Cleansing Wipes are gentle, effective and convenient. Of course, we should all be washing our faces thoroughly at the end of the day, but there are times when that just isn't going to happen. These wipes are also very handy for cleaning brushes on the fly and tidying up eye liner mishaps. They'll live on the top of your dresser.
2. Lush Love Lettuce is a fresh face mask made with fuller's earth, ground almonds and honey. Leave on for 15 minutes and use it as a scrub as you remove it, and you'll be greeted with a bright, moisturised face. Keep it in the fridge and use within three weeks.
3. Rimmell BB Cream 9 in 1 is the perfect option for a weekday base. Blendable and brightening, it's got SPF25 and a nice demi-matte finish. Just the thing when you can't be bothered with a full foundation routine.
4. L'Oreal Paris Elnett Normal Strength pops up in every other list of beauty editors' favourites, and for good reason. It offers hold without turning to concrete, and applies in an impressively fine mist. Your grandma was onto something with this one.
5. Sukin Cream Cleanser is perfect for dryer skin that still wants a thorough cleanse. With rosehip and avocado oils, you know it's doing you good. Massage it onto dry skin and remove with a warm face cloth.
6. Revlon ColourStay Gel Envy in Checkmate is the perfect cool-toned nude for when you can't decide what colour to paint your nails. If it was an eyeshadow, it'd go in your crease and work with just about anything. The shade is just as versatile on nails.
7. Palmer's Cocoa Butter Formula SPF15. If you go through body lotion just about weekly, it feels wasteful to spend too much. This Palmer's option smells amazing and absorbs well, plus who doesn't love a bit of SPF?
8. NYX Professional Makeup Jumbo Eye Pencils are perfect as an eyeshadow base - putting a creamy layer like these down first will always make your shadows stand out more. At this price you can get a few.
9. Rimmel Stay Matte Pressed Powder is one of those powders that completely changes the foundation and concealer you're using it on. It'll take you from shiny to velvety in a second. Get the transparent shade to avoid an orange tone.
10. Maybelline Eyestudio Color Tattoo Eyeshadow is another cream eyeshadow that works well as a base, but in a pot rather than a pencil. Bad to the Bronze and Barely Branded are the shades to try.
Written by Harriet Pudney. Republished with permission of Stuff.co.nz.