A Sydney doctor has recommended an everyday household item to help you lose weight.
Obesity expert Nick Fuller has five good reasons why headphones could be the key to dropping the kilos.
He said that around 70 per cent of Australians failed to meet the recommended guidelines for exercise and “a measly 30 minutes of moderate intensity activity” five days a week.
“When we add in some exercise we are only getting to the actual recommended level for general heart health population guidelines. To add to the frustration, we often start activities we don’t even enjoy or won’t stick to long-term, for example, going to the gym, or starting with a personal trainer,” he told The Daily Telegraph.
“So in frustration we quit, waste our money, and go back to our old ways, as it is all too hard and not fun.”
For Dr Fuller, the solution was simple. Do the exercise that you enjoy and do it with headphones to make it a more pleasurable experience.
“Research has shown that listening to music may also improve your enjoyment and intensity while working out, which means you are more likely to shift those kilos for summer,” he said.
“Headphones prevent us from getting distracted and talking to our gym buddy or friends at the park.”
Dr Fuller’s five reasons to exercise with headphones:
1. Prevents distraction as you are focused on the music and the activity.
2. Improves fitness by increasing the tempo or beat of the music.
3. Increases enjoyment as you are listening to your favourite music, taking your mind off the physical exertion.
4. Feel the beat as our bodies move to music it can help you exercise better
5. Boosts your mood as studies show music makes you happier